Friday, May 3, 2013

Post-Op Day 1 (Thursday 5/2)

I have always been pretty empathetic, but having this surgery has given me a completely new perspective for all of my patients that I saw during fieldwork that had knee surgeries. I find it ironic that they were the patients I was always scared to move in and out of bed because of how much pain they seemed to be in, and how any wrong bend could cause more pain. My fears while helping them transfer were correct; any wrong movement is very painful!

It is also giving me a lot of insight for how to treat my future patients who are in pain, who have had surgery, and who have big changes in their current plans or little detours towards their long-term goals and dreams. I am also quickly learning how much of an impact even small limitations can have on us participating in meaningful occupations (there's the OT in me), and how lucky I am to have such a great support system. 

Last night, I didn't get much sleep because the painkillers really don't seem to be doing anything to reduce pain or to knock me out. I am also not having any side effects from them, which is fantastic, because usually I get every side effect known to mankind. My body tends to be super sensitive with just about everything. Even after not sleeping well, I woke up feeling pretty good! I am putting almost all of my weight on my left leg already (with the brace on), and using the crutches just a little. 

It is definitely painful. For most of the beginning of the day, I'd say it's been a 7-8/10 on a pain scale. I think more of the pain is on the outside from the tightly wrapped bandage rubbing against the stitches than in the actual femur. I'm not sure how many incisions there are yet. I get to take the bandage off on Saturday. I've been trying to balance resting and working through the pain to do all of the exercises I'm supposed to be doing. I thought I'd be bored, but the first day flew by with the amount of things I'm supposed to do each day to help the recovery process!
Fancy-schmancy CPM machine that bends/straightens my knee.

What I am Doing to Take Care of My Knee (what the doctors, nurses, and physical therapist said to do):
  1. Taking all medications as needed
  2. Icing to reduce swelling, on 20 minutes and off  60 minutes all day
  3. Completing physical therapy exercises (I have to do some of them 200 TIMES per DAY! This is why I went into OT, not PT. We assign sane amounts of home exercises. Although I'm sure they will be beneficial in the long run.)
  4. Using the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine 3x/day, 2 hours each time. This machine flexes and extends my knee repeatedly to ensure that I maintain my ROM (range of motion). I started at 30 degrees today, and I'm supposed to add 4-6 degrees per day.
  5. I'm drinking TONS of water, trying to eat pretty healthily, and drinking lots of green tea. I just feel like I should be treating my body the best that I can so that it can heal as quickly as possible.




I am so grateful for Kevin, my family, and my friends. My parents have been cooking for me and picking up my medications, Nathan has been helping to set up the CPM machine (that thing is heavy!), Kevin is keeping me company and providing tons of support, Kylie helps get my ice packs, Caitlyn gives me tips and tricks on wearing the bulky brace since she was in a similar one all of last summer, and my nephews provide endless entertainment. Everyone at my house has helped me adjust the excessive amount of pillows that I have been using countless times to try to make me comfortable, and my extended family and friends have been checking up on me and calling daily. Kevin's parents sent awesome balloons with a wonderful note. They came when my knee felt particularly terrible, and they look so cheerful! The balloons instantly made me feel better. 

I am incredibly thankful for all of the support from everyone around me. Day 1 wasn't so bad thanks to all of you, and I hear the first 48 hours are the worst!

 Get-well balloons from the Andersons. Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment